Monday, May 4, 2009

Fail Harder

This video is from WK12. Wieden + Kennedy's ad school students.
A great example of taking the long way and the right way.


This weekend I saw a documentary film called Art + Copy.

But what I want to share is that somewhere deep inside of me I wanted to scream when I watched Art + Copy. I wanted to scream so loud. I want to scream out of frustration, out of love and out of passion. All I want to do is work on amazing beautiful wonderful brilliant bone tingling ideas, and I feel like I am just a rat in a cage. I am not what you would call a creative. I am more of what you could call a suit, or a client.  But what I do know is that I am smart and I am dialed into what is a good idea, how to sell it and how to build on it. I believe in creative genius. I believe that I can come up with an idea that 80%, (and likely 110% better than alot of shit out there), but it is when you give that 80% idea to a brilliant creative mind and they come back with an idea that is 200%, that's the beauty piece. And when you know it. You cherish it. You compare everything else to that experience. But I guess what makes me want to scream is that I am scared. I am scared that one day I will never work on the Nike masterpiece that I aspire to. Or if I do, I would never get credit for it. I was once told a suit is never really part of the creative process. I am scared that I might never be taken seriously because I am not in a creative department. I am scared to share my perspective. And I feel sorry for the person who doesn't want my perspective because they aren't open enough to hear it. But at the same time I am scared that I might not be liked for not liking someone else's work, or for thinking they didn't think hard enough.  It is a dark but colorful masochistic place that I am in. Its hard for me, because I am certainly no shrinking violet. And I do my best to be open minded, to digest, to think before I speak, and to be sensitive in my feedback and gushing in my praise. I come from nowhere but a genuine place. But when you want something so bad, or when you love something so much it makes you vulnerable.  Honesty is hard, both to be and to take. 
I want to work on amazing ideas. I want to be part of something game changing.
Somebody has to do it, why can't it be me?
I just don't know where to start.


No comments: