Sunday, October 5, 2008

The F word is worth $63 million.


I have never been a big Louis Vuitton fan.

I never understood the aesthetic appeal. Brown and Gold aren't really that beautiful or inspiring. Although, truth be told, I do now have an itch for an LV fix in the form of a big carry-on bag. (I don't wear big brands, but I suppose if I were to, I'd scream it out loud).

But why haven't I loved it in the past?
Despite the colors, it is the overwhelming anxiety of people whispering 'is it real or is it fake?'. Let it be said there is nothing fake about me. And this past Christmas, when my brother received an LV emblazoned basketball, I knew they had 'jumped the knock-off shark'.

I have to give a big high five to LV for standing their ground and holding eBay accountable for slowing chipping away at the LV brand value. Recently LVMH (the parent company) sued and won $63MM from eBay because they felt eBay was supporting, by not interfering, the sale of knock-off goods. However, the on-line commerce site is appealing, as quoted in this CNN article:

"Today's ruling is not about counterfeits. Today's ruling is about an attempt by LVMH to protect uncompetitive commercial practices at the expense of consumer choice and the livelihood of law-abiding sellers that eBay empowers every day."

Is it the end of free enterprise and the start of uncompetitive practices? or is it the essence of the brand taking a stand and saying... stop adding milk, we like it strong.

p.s. poster comes from http://www.johngodfrey.net/. come on... send me one : )

No comments: